Senior Audio DSP and Acoustics Engineer
San Francisco, CA / Remote
Founded by legendary filmmaker George Lucas in 1983, THX sets performance standards for world-class studios and cinemas, and provides premium audio and video solutions for mobile devices, PCs, home, and automotive. THX develops technologies, products and specifications that perfect the consumer entertainment experience, and enable the artist to deliver their true vision.
Reports to Head of R&D
- Design, develop, test and deploy new and competitive audio signal processing algorithms to solve customer problems and delight listeners
- Collaborate with UX / UI design, engineering, and QA staff to implement algorithms into products, to facilitate the rapid prototyping, testing, and continuous delivery of robust, engaging user experiences
- Perform acoustic measurement and compensation of speakers and headphones
- Perform critical listening evaluation of audio products and audio signal processing algorithms
- Create A/B demonstrations, documentation, engineering tools, and technical sales tools to assist with implementation and deployment of algorithms
- Evaluate 3rd party algorithms and products
- Review existing products to better iterate on audio performance and customer satisfaction, as well as to ensure compliance with best practices
- Develop new components for internal testing and instrumentation applications, as well as external (partner) applications, as applicable
- Other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- 5+ years of experience as an audio signal processing or acoustics engineer engaged in audio rendering algorithm development and acoustical testing, supporting the release of public-facing consumer electronics applications, products or services, is required
- Proficiency with Matlab and a strong mathematics background are required
- Proficiency with C or C++ or equivalent programming language is required
- Proficiency coding linear and non-linear audio signal processing algorithms is required
- Experience with impulse response capture and evaluation of speakers or headphones is required
- Proficiency designing biquad filters to compensate speakers or headphones is required
- Proficiency working with electronics evaluation modules, oscilloscopes, power supplies, and audio analyzers (Audio Precision or equivalent) is required
- Proficiency in critical listening with both ears across wideband audio content for timbral, spatial, and dynamic behavior and comparison, is required
- Familiarity with audio architectures for consumer electronics products is strongly encouraged
- Experience working with embedded DSPs and development tools such as SigmaStudio or AudioWeaver is strongly encouraged
- Experience working with spatial audio is a plus
- Familiarity with Digital Audio Workstations (DAWs) is a plus
- Musical experience / knowledge of musical theory is a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including graphical presentation and human-readable documentation, in service of product development and customer support requirements, is a plus
BA/BS degree or certification in Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics, or equivalent work experience will be considered.
Preferred Language SkillsAbility to read, analyze, and interpret complex documents. Ability to respond effectively to all types of inquiries. Ability to write speeches and articles using original or innovative techniques or style. Ability to make effective and persuasive speeches and presentations on controversial or complex topics to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors. Written and spoken proficiency in US English required; additional language proficiencies, including Mandarin, Cantonese or other CJVK languages are a plus.
Mathematical SkillsAbility to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs. Engineering mathematics proficiency is required.
Reasoning AbilityAbility to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several variables in unusual situations. Ability to use effective deductive reasoning is essential. Ability to weigh risks, commercial and/or technical uncertainties, trade-offs, and incomplete or changing information to inform team priorities.
Computer SkillsTo perform this job successfully, an individual should have experience with Matlab, test and measurement applications, software integrated development environments, as well as shared documents (e.g. Google Docs or Adobe Acrobat or Microsoft 365), direct messaging for team communication (e.g. Slack or Microsoft Teams), and issue tracking applications (e.g. Atlassian JIRA). Technical familiarity with integrated development and source-control environments (Visual Studio Code, Android Studio, Xcode, GitHub / Atlassian Bitbucket) is a plus.
Work EnvironmentThe work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. We will consider candidates from any global location. If candidate is based outside of Northern California it is expected that candidate either has a home-based lab and/or access to an anechoic chamber (or other such facility) required for measurement and critical listening. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Physical DemandsThe physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. This position requires a high level of audio acuity in both ears to perform the essential duties and responsibilities noted above. This position requires a high level of visual acuity and may require vision correction if necessary to perform the essential duties and responsibilities noted above.
Travel RequirementsNo travel requirements.
To apply for this role, please click “Apply Now,” to submit a resume.
THX Ltd. is an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veterans status, or disabilities. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
THX Ltd. does not accept unsolicited resumes from third-party recruiters, including and without limitation, search firms, staffing agencies, fee-based referral services and recruiting agencies. Any resume submitted to any employee of THX Ltd. will be considered unsolicited and deemed gratuitous without having a written vendor agreement in place and only to the extent such agreement covers a specified position. THX Ltd. will not pay a placement fee. Verbal or written commitments from any other member of THX Ltd. staff will not be binding. It is the responsibility of all third-party recruiting/supplemental staffing agencies to know this policy.