San Francisco, CA
Founded by legendary filmmaker George Lucas in 1983, THX sets performance standards for world-class studios and cinemas, and provides premium audio and video solutions for home, automotive and mobile applications. THX develops designs, technologies, products and specifications perfecting the entertainment experience to ensure the artist’s vision is truthfully delivered to audiences.
This position reports to the Staff Engineer, Product Development
Design, build, and test the highest quality mixed signal audio hardware, embedded firmware, and DSP algorithms for the audio-video and entertainment industries for the most respected and trusted name for premium experiences. Your work will be experienced by and influence millions. You will bring an understanding of all aspects of digital audio electronics including DSP and DAC components as well as an understanding of precision audio circuitry and power conversion. As a broad generalist with a go-getter attitude, you will also provide systems leadership in test and measurement for acoustics, encoding, microphones, sound reproduction and reinforcement systems.
Some of the specific duties include:
- Provide applications support to customers developing new consumer products that use THX’s audio hardware and software technologies.
- Bring up evaluation PCBAs with new and incremental designs
- Assist with CAD design and prototype debug of mixed signal circuits including audio, DAC, DSP, amplifier, and power supply technologies
- Assist with development, implementation, debug, and verification of DSP algorithms for mobile, PC and consumer electronic devices
- Develop test and measurement methods and execute for eval units
- Provide general technical support for engineering and sales groups
- Track time and deliverables on a project by project, sprint by sprint basis
- Occasional travel to assist with production ramp-up at overseas partner factories
- Occasional travel to provide technical support to customers and for sales activities
Qualified candidates must have the following:
- Minimum two (2) years’ experience as an electrical engineer in audio consumer products
- Understanding of electronic circuits with the ability to read digital and analog schematics
- Proficiency with A/V debug and test Equipment including oscilloscope, Audio Precision, soldering iron, etc.
- Proficiency with embedded systems Hardware and Software
- Proficiency with an electrical CAD design tool for schematic capture and PCB design (e.g. Altium Designer)
- Demonstrated awareness of requirements and techniques for consumer electronics design for EMC, Safety, ESD, manufacturability, low-cost, reliability, etc.
- Experience in design for a mid-to-high volume manufacturing environment is a strong asset.
- Experience in design of audio amplifiers or power supplies for consumer electronics is a strong asset.
- Experience in development or manipulation of DSP algorithms is a strong asset.
- Experience in use of simulation tools (e.g. LTSpice or TINA) is a strong asset.
- Experience in Agile, Scrum, or similar development methodologies is a strong asset.
- Experience using project tracking and product development tools such as JIRA is a strong asset.
Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or related discipline.
The successful candidate will possess the following attributes:
- Ability to bring up prototype and development HW
- Ability to troubleshoot embedded systems at both the SW and HW levels
- Knowledge of audio electronic and acoustic product measurement techniques
- Familiarity and interest in audio technologies for consumer and professional markets
- Must have strong problem solving, critical thinking, and research skills
- Must be self-motivated with excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills with focus on teamwork
Regular, Full time, Exempt
- The performance of this position may occasionally require travel within the THX organization or to other organizations
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Individuals may need to sit or stand as needed. May require walking primarily on a level surface for periodic periods throughout the day. Reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting as required to file documents or store materials throughout the work day. Proper lifting techniques required. May include lifting up to 10 pounds on occasion. Primary environment: ambient room temperatures, lighting and traditional office equipment as found in a typical office environment.
THX Ltd. is an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veterans status, or disabilities. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
THX Ltd. does not accept unsolicited resumes from third-party recruiters, including and without limitation, search firms, staffing agencies, fee-based referral services and recruiting agencies. Any resume submitted to any employee of THX Ltd. will be considered unsolicited and deemed gratuitous without having a written vendor agreement in place and only to the extent such agreement covers a specified position. THX Ltd. will not pay a placement fee. Verbal or written commitments from any other member of THX Ltd. staff will not be binding. It is the responsibility of all third-party recruiting/supplemental staffing agencies to know this policy.