Cross-Platform User Applications Engineer
San Francisco, CA / Remote
Founded by legendary filmmaker George Lucas in 1983, THX sets performance standards for world-class studios and cinemas, and provides premium audio and video solutions for mobile devices, PCs, home, and automotive. THX develops technologies, products and specifications that perfect the consumer entertainment experience, and enable the artist to deliver their true vision.
Reports to VP Engineering
- Develop, test and package platform-appropriate front-end and middleware components
- Collaborate with UX / UI design, engineering, and QA staff to implement design-to-code workflows, to facilitate the rapid prototyping, testing, and continuous delivery of robust, engaging user experiences
- Develop unit, functional and integration test frameworks, to ensure consistent behavior across all supported platforms, while encouraging practical, componentized re-use
- Review existing workflows to better iterate and improve time-to-release, as well as to ensure compliance with platform-specific best practices
- Develop new components for internal testing and instrumentation applications, as well as external (partner) applications, as applicable
- Other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- 3+ years of experience as a software engineer engaged in front-end as well as middleware development, for any two of desktop, mobile or web targets, supporting the release of public-facing applications, products or services, is required
- Familiarity with application packaging and submission requirements specific to individual desktop and/or mobile app stores (e.g., Windows, Android, iOS / macOS), with an understanding of development and production workflows, is required
- Familiarity with web technologies and their tooling, deployment and implementation across browser, handset and desktop display targets, including but not limited to WebAssembly, progressive web apps (PWA), and embedded browsers (e.g., WPE / WebKit), is strongly encouraged
- Familiarity with Flutter (mobile / desktop / web) and/or React (Native / JS) frameworks is strongly encouraged
- Familiarity with continuous integration and deployment (CICD) processes across desktop, mobile and web targets, for local testing as well as cloud-based build environments, is strongly encouraged
- Familiarity with Web Audio API technologies is a plus
- Familiarity with game application development, utilizing cross-platform engines such as Unity, Unreal, Roblox et al, is a plus
- Familiarity with platform-specific media player implementations, as well as their implications for overall performance, is a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including graphical presentation and human-readable documentation, in service of product development and customer support requirements, is a plus
BA/BS degree or certification in Computer Science, Mobile Application Development, User Experience, Interaction or Visual Design disciplines, or equivalent work experience will be considered. A portfolio of prior work is not required, though will be considered in conjunction with prior work experience.
Preferred Language SkillsAbility to read, analyze, and interpret complex documents. Ability to respond effectively to all types of inquiries. Ability to write speeches and articles using original or innovative techniques or style. Ability to make effective and persuasive speeches and presentations on controversial or complex topics to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors. Written and spoken proficiency in US English required; additional language proficiencies, including Mandarin, Cantonese or other CJVK languages are a plus.
Mathematical SkillsAbility to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs. Engineering mathematics proficiency is a plus.
Reasoning AbilityAbility to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several variables in unusual situations. Ability to use effective deductive reasoning is essential. Ability to weigh risks, commercial and/or technical uncertainties, trade-offs, and incomplete or changing information to inform team priorities.
Computer SkillsTo perform this job successfully, an individual should have some experience with UI/UX prototyping applications (Adobe Creative Cloud, InVision, Sketch, Figma, Balsamiq), as well as shared documents (Google Docs / Adobe Acrobat / Microsoft 365), direct messaging for team communication (Slack / Microsoft Teams), and issue tracking applications (Atlassian JIRA). Technical familiarity with integrated development and source-control environments (Visual Studio Code, Android Studio, Xcode, GitHub / Atlassian Bitbucket) is strongly encouraged.
Work EnvironmentThe work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Physical DemandsThe physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. This position requires a high level of visual acuity and may require vision correction if necessary to perform the essential duties and responsibilities noted above.
Travel RequirementsNo travel requirements.
To apply for this role, please click “Apply Now,” to submit a resume.
THX Ltd. is an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veterans status, or disabilities. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
THX Ltd. does not accept unsolicited resumes from third-party recruiters, including and without limitation, search firms, staffing agencies, fee-based referral services and recruiting agencies. Any resume submitted to any employee of THX Ltd. will be considered unsolicited and deemed gratuitous without having a written vendor agreement in place and only to the extent such agreement covers a specified position. THX Ltd. will not pay a placement fee. Verbal or written commitments from any other member of THX Ltd. staff will not be binding. It is the responsibility of all third-party recruiting/supplemental staffing agencies to know this policy.