San Francisco, CA
Founded by legendary filmmaker George Lucas in 1983, THX sets performance standards for world-class studios and cinemas, and provides premium audio and video solutions for home, automotive and mobile applications. THX develops designs, technologies, products and specifications perfecting the entertainment experience to ensure the artist’s vision is truthfully delivered to audiences.
Vice President, Finance
Legal Counsel advises on legal matters impacting THX Ltd. and is responsible for corporate legal initiatives. Directly involved in business transactions in negotiating critical contracts, compliance licensing and contract administration. Legal Counsel may support our parent company on intellectual property, preparation and review, lead the compliance function, and seeks to ensure that THX conducts its business according to applicable international and US federal and state laws and regulations. The legal work will encompass all commercial areas globally. Our business covers diverse verticals across the commercial space and include issues related to intellectual property, privacy, compliance, partnerships and company-wide considerations. This role will work directly with the Leadership Team and may work with the CEO, Board of Directors and other senior stakeholders.
More specifically, the Legal Counsel will:
- Work closely with parent company’s legal team.
- Oversee and execute daily legal matters needed and desired by the company as it continues its high-growth commercial trajectory.
- Manage the legal function, supervise and manage outside counsel’s provision of legal services in areas of special expertise and may provide advice on company strategies and their implementation.
- Advise company on how to operate globally within the law and reduce exposure to risks associated with potential legal claims
- Handle highly sensitive, confidential and non-routine information with discretion and good judgment. Research unique legal issues impacting the organization by identifying applicable statutes, judicial decisions, and codes and keeping abreast of legislative changes that may affect the company globally
- Negotiate and write agreements and contracts and advise on contract status, legal risks and business terms of various deals.
- Draft and negotiate IP licensing contracts (standard and complex) in close cooperation with the business development and sales groups with support, as appropriate.
- Support outside counsel in preparing and filing documents and forms for intellectual property portfolio, including patents, trademarks, copyrights and payment of fees and annuities.
- Handle routine tasks, such as vendor contracts, service agreements and nondisclosure agreements.
- Prepare drafts of letters, contracts and legal documents, and interact proactively and effectively with internal clients and external business partners to move projects towards completion.
- Update and maintain internal databases and file systems for the Legal department.
- Create initial contract and non-disclosure agreement drafts; filing such documents; editing and reviewing contracts; managing contract execution process; updating contract templates; work with internal business people on various transactions, lawsuits and legal matters.
Qualified candidates must have the following:
- 3-7 years of relevant experience
- Experience in corporate governance and commercial contracts, particularly IP licensing contracts
- Commitment to providing effective and practical legal solutions in a fast-paced, team-focused environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and proactively to manage numerous projects under deadline pressure.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Able to prepare professional documents and communications.
- Experience interacting effectively with all levels of the company, including executive management, technical, engineering, finance, HR, marketing, business development and sales.
- Knowledge of commonly-used concepts, practices, and procedures within a corporate legal department.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to create and maintain organizational systems for large and complex files.
- Experience with cross-border transactions, preferred
- Employment and litigation experience are a plus
The successful candidate will possess the following attributes:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work with multiple deadlines and multiple projects for multiple internal clients
- Excellent analytical skills, creativity, problem solving, and team-work skills.
- Believer in collaboration in an in-house legal environment.
- Excellent verbal, written, and visual communication and presentation skills; ability to assertively sell ideas based on solid rationale & objectives and to present thinking to all levels of co-workers.
- Highly driven and proactive self-starter; ability to take on a task without much context and driving it through to completion.
- Able to think innovatively, see the big picture, yet still tend to the details.
- Open minded, hard-working, collaborative, and professional
- Regular, Full-Time, Exempt
- The performance of this position may occasionally require nominal travel within the THX organization or to other organizations, less than 5%.
THX Ltd. is an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veterans status, or disabilities. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
THX Ltd. does not accept unsolicited resumes from third-party recruiters, including and without limitation, search firms, staffing agencies, fee-based referral services and recruiting agencies. Any resume submitted to any employee of THX Ltd. will be considered unsolicited and deemed gratuitous without having a written vendor agreement in place and only to the extent such agreement covers a specified position. THX Ltd. will not pay a placement fee. Verbal or written commitments from any other member of THX Ltd. staff will not be binding. It is the responsibility of all third-party recruiting/supplemental staffing agencies to know this policy.